Powertrain Malfunction

IRE

Jun 25, 2023
Texas
I have had my F-150 Lightning for 7 weeks and have clocked 3,600 miles.

While driving yesterday, a warning came up on the dashboard saying to take the truck in for service and power dropped such that one could only crawl along. I stopped at the first light. Powered off and on. Power came back but the warning light (orange spanner) persisted so I gingerly drove home.

My Ford App on my phone declared that there has been a Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power. The warning illuminates when the system has detected a powertrain or a four-wheel drive fault which means I need to contact the dealer ASAP.

Has anyone seen this?

IRE

Davidf

Apr 3, 2022
Scappoose
My lightning did the same thing . I didn’t drive it for a few days and when I jumped back in the truck it was cleared and has been fine ever since.

Kstype

Jan 22, 2022
Pennsylvania
This happened to mine and mine also cleared on it’s own - I made an appointment with dealer anyway and they advised there was a Ford Power Up that was in the process of installing and that was the likely cause.

OP
I

IRE

Jun 25, 2023
Texas
The fault cleared overnight. I still took it into the Ford dealer where I bought it. They reported a number of other alarms in the system, test drove it for 30 miles for two days. Fault did not return and they declared that it was good to go.

Looks like consumers are testing Ford's hardware and software. Hopefully this will not happen again.

Incidentally, I was surprised to see that this is a very common problem reported on a number of F-150 Lightning forums.

ICED Lightning

Mar 15, 2022
rural Georgia
I think we may start to realize that, like the 'dummy lights' that happen frequently on ICE vehicles, like the scorned 'check engine' light, are rarely dangerous, urgent, or anything of real relevance to the driver.... continue on.
I don't think that there is anything, as a driver, that you can do, that would somehow 'harm' the truck, if you simply continue pushing the GO pedal...

hopefully my Lightning's 'check engine' light will not come on simply because I forgot to turn the gas cap enough times : )

jfdjr35

Feb 15, 2024
Buffalo, NY
My powertrain malfunction light has come on and the dealer has diagnosed a faulty engine coolant control valve. Apparently the part is in high demand and will take at least a week to arrive at dealer.
Has anyone else received this diagnosis?

JazzyJeff

Jan 11, 2022
Chicago, IL
My powertrain malfunction light has come on and the dealer has diagnosed a faulty engine coolant control valve. Apparently the part is in high demand and will take at least a week to arrive at dealer.
Has anyone else received this diagnosis?
Mine came on last Thursday as well! Are you sure yours was for engine coolant control valve and not battery coolant control valve? I only drove it locally since Thursday when necessary as dealer couldn't fit me in till Monday morning. There is no power reduction and truck drove like new. When truck would sit a bit and then I would start it, no warning light. But after a moment, or when i changed into different gear, powertrain malfunction warning came back..

Took it in to dealer this morning and got diagnosis about faulty battery coolant control valve. It was stuck in "closed" position. I am at 29K miles. They told me same thing that part back-ordered and they are reaching out to local dealers to see if anyone has one available. They will call me tomorrow.

They insisted I needed to leave it there as it's not safe to drive and were worried it could catch fire. They offered a shuttle ride home or told me to contact my insurance company to get a loaner. ??? Rates are up, their new and used lots are jam packed, yet they don't have any loaners (idk why they can't just give out their used cars or one of the the three demos for sale as loaners to people like me with serious warranty issues). But they got scared after I insisted that I wasn't leaving my lightning until they get a part because i NEEDED a car to drive to work and get kids around. 15 minutes later, hey suddenly "found" a demo loaner for me, which I am happy with.

Keep me updated on your progress @jfdjr35 and I will post mine as well.

jfdjr35

Feb 15, 2024
Buffalo, NY
Thanks for sharing your similar experience. Mine has been at the shop for a week now, but fortunately the dealer immediately offered up a loaner Edge.
My dealer originally thought the issue was related to Customer Satisfaction Program 23B70, which is the replacement of the battery monitor sensor. They did this replacement and the "powertrain malfunction / reduced power" warning is still on.
They said the default codes are showing a faulty coolant control valve.
I'm only at about 6K miles.

jfdjr35

Feb 15, 2024
Buffalo, NY
Three weeks in the shop and still no part! Called Ford and they said projected to come off backorder March 26th. They said they would "emergency escalate", whatever that means.

jfdjr35

Feb 15, 2024
Buffalo, NY
2023 Lightning is still in the shop! Latest update is part will not be available until March 29th, even with escalation. That will make the repair 7-8 weeks!