Interesting Video on Lightning Battery Module Replacement.

Kstype

Jan 22, 2022
Pennsylvania
Hello Fellow Lightning Owners/Reservation Holders.

I stumbled across this video about a team replacing battery module number 2 from an F-150 Battery back due to a bad cell. I know it’s the ER battery since it’s the two tier design.

Enjoy:

Kurt

Sync

May 19, 2022
TN
Hello Fellow Lightning Owners/Reservation Holders.

I stumbled across this video about a team replacing battery module number 2 from an F-150 Battery back due to a bad cell. I know it’s the ER battery since it’s the two tier design.

Enjoy:

Kurt
That is great info. Is there a way for a normal user/owner to perform a “cell report” and see if there is a low/bad/flawed battery somewhere?

Sync

May 19, 2022
TN
Ok, so after just over 2k miles, I think I am a victim of a bad cell or multiple bad cells too.
I was hoping for a way to “self diagnose“ the battery, but haven’t found anything yet on how to do that.
Bottom line, I consistently get 65% of advertised range. I have tracked it both with one person regular city driving and multiple people with luggage (extra weight) on longer trips. Example, if the truck says I have 200 miles range, I will only get 130. I have never let it go below 40 miles shown on the screen, but basically in that example I drove 104 with theoretically 40 left, but started at 200.
I had one longer trip with total of 207 miles from start to finish. I charged to 100% and truck claimed 295 range at start. I made it 143 miles and had less than 60 left. Luckily there was an EA super charger because I would not have made it to the destination when I should have had about 80 miles left on the charge.

I would love feedback. Anyone else with this drastic of loss? It is winter, but I live in TN so I wouldnt expect more than 5-6% loss due to cold. I have a tesla too, and it only lost about 2% due to cold weather.

Rdiamfree

Mar 10, 2023
Curlew Washington
Ok, so after just over 2k miles, I think I am a victim of a bad cell or multiple bad cells too.
I was hoping for a way to “self diagnose“ the battery, but haven’t found anything yet on how to do that.
Bottom line, I consistently get 65% of advertised range. I have tracked it both with one person regular city driving and multiple people with luggage (extra weight) on longer trips. Example, if the truck says I have 200 miles range, I will only get 130. I have never let it go below 40 miles shown on the screen, but basically in that example I drove 104 with theoretically 40 left, but started at 200.
I had one longer trip with total of 207 miles from start to finish. I charged to 100% and truck claimed 295 range at start. I made it 143 miles and had less than 60 left. Luckily there was an EA super charger because I would not have made it to the destination when I should have had about 80 miles left on the charge.

I would love feedback. Anyone else with this drastic of loss? It is winter, but I live in TN so I wouldnt expect more than 5-6% loss due to cold. I have a tesla too, and it only lost about 2% due to cold weather.
Reading an experience like this leads me to rethink my "In-Propduciton" F-150 Lariat. I need a truck that can at least make 200+ miles on a one way trip for my business. There are not charge stations between my ranch and the nearest charge station 150 +/- miles away.

Sync

May 19, 2022
TN

Any other owners with this experience? I am going to do another full week of testing, but I think I may take it in to get battery checked.

Sync

May 19, 2022
TN
Well, I finally decided to take it in and get a “battery diagnostic“ to see if I have bad cells, which seems highly likely based on my consistent 65% of whatever the truck “thinks” the range is. But now I have to leave it with the dealer for 30 days before they can even look at it! Yep, you read that right……30 days!!!
And if I am right, how long will it take to fix/replace the bad modules???

I have loved the last 3 F150s I have had since 2001 and still technically love the Lightning, but my frustration with Ford as a company is growing strong.

Sync

May 19, 2022
TN
Well, today I am 16 days in with my truck sitting at the dealer waiting for diagnosis. I even bought a Thinkdiag ODB2 scanner in hopes of diagnosing it myself. Despite seeing a YouTube video with it working on a 2022 Lightning, it doesn’t appear to support the 2023 yet. So I am still at the mercy of the local dealer.

Sync

May 19, 2022
TN
Ok Lightning owners, help me out. Are you guys seeing that “climate use”, accessories, and external temperature are eating up about 30% of battery, meaning actual driving range is typically only about 70% of whatever is shown after each charge?

Sync

May 19, 2022
TN
Ok, for anyone that has been following or even cares the final verdict is in. I have a perfect bill of health from my battery cell report, and I even got to witness it personally.
So my final conclusion is that an extended range lightning is a 200 mile range truck not a 300 mile range.
Unless, of course, wherever you live is exactly 70°F all the time and you don’t use internal climate control and you drive downhill 100% of the time drafting behind an 18 wheeler, consider this truck a200 mile range truck.
I absolutely love everything else about the truck but I wish I did know this going in so that I didn’t waste six weeks of research.

Lbfireman1

Jan 21, 2022
Oceanside
That is great info. Is there a way for a normal user/owner to perform a “cell report” and see if there is a low/bad/flawed battery somewhere?
4 months and under 4k miles my truck would not charge so I limped it into the dealer on 12/26. After parts replacement and finally a diagnostic report it was determined that module #7 was bad. It was replaced on Friday. Mywill be ready for pick up on Monday 🤞. What a fiasco.

Sync

May 19, 2022
TN
4 months and under 4k miles my truck would not charge so I limped it into the dealer on 12/26. After parts replacement and finally a diagnostic report it was determined that module #7 was bad. It was replaced on Friday. Mywill be ready for pick up on Monday 🤞. What a fiasco.
What parts were replaced? Was it the recall BECN thing? Was your battery considered good before the replacement?

Lbfireman1

Jan 21, 2022
Oceanside
Yeah, it was the BECM, and it was on backorder. Once it was installed, they were able to diagnose the battery life. It was determined the #7 battery module was bad. The order, delivery, and installation of the module was one week.